Friday 20 September 2013

Introduction Project

       


As part of my fashion foundation course i'm going to be writing a blog about what I do on the course and any other activities I do. I started last week and it was very full on, even on the first day. My teacher asked us to design and create a garment that illustrates us as a designer. When she first said that I was worried because in my last school the process of designing and making a garment took around two months. However because it was a fairly simple dress and I went straight onto making I got there in the end. I wanted to make something quite pretty, girly but mature. I made this dress for a young adult, so someone mature. The shape of the dress is quite playful with the neckline being a sweetheart with a v shape to make it a bit flirty. Because I had made garments before making the top was fairly simple. I used a paper pattern and then altered it to the shape I wanted. I was excited to put together the skirt of the dress because I hadn't done this technique before and how I imagined it looked interesting. As a designer It shows I like to try out new techniques when making a garment. On the calico fabric I drew where the other materials were going to go making sure I added some seam allowance for when I sew everything together. Sewing all the strips together was a bit fiddly. I wanted the panels to be see through so I used a sparkly lilac organza and a black chiffon to add contrast to the light colours. Because the excess fabric would show through the sheer fabrics I had to sew them down to make it look that bit more professional. The next thing to do was to sew the top to the skirt I did this by gathering the fabric at the top when I sewed, marking where the skirt should be halfway on the top. Initially I was going to put buttons but gathering the skirt to the top gave me less fabric to work with so instead I added a corset tie up feature. That was really the only thing I didn't like with the whole of the dress. Overall I love what I have created, the sheer fabrics in between the calico fabric works so well. If I had more time I would add some embroidery or some beading to add another texture. Hopefully this dress gets across what sort of a designer I am. I'm excited about what else I'm going to be doing on this fashion foundation course. 



No comments:

Post a Comment